Friday, May 29, 2015

Why I stopped eating red meat

Hey guys :) 
Today's post is quite a personal one to me because it's about my own personal life choices and decisions. 
*DISCLAIMER I'm not trying to insult anyone or influence anyone's decisions on their diet, what you eat is your choice I'm just here to share my own experiences*

Okay so about a month ago I decided to stop eating all red meat.
For those of you who don't know red meat includes- 
-beef
-veal
-lamb 
-mutton
-venison
-pork
-goat
-rabbit
-buffalo or bison 
And white meat is- 
-fish 
-seafood
-poultry (chicken etc)
Even though I eat white meat I try and avoid animal meats (I.e. Chicken and birds) as much as I can and get my main source of meat from fish, and I don't eat any forms of processed meats.

I have been researching into different life styles such as veganism and vegetarianism for a while and concluded that veganism isn't for me, neither is being vegetarian. However I do want become a pesctarian eventually (someone who doesn't eat animal meat but eats fish), but for reasons in my anorexia recovery (my body needs protein from meat right now) and it's hard for me to give up meat like chicken straight away so I thought I should just give up red meat to start and see how I go, and in this process I discovered this isn't the only reason that appealed to me for giving up red meat.

Health reasons as to why I gave up red meat: 
1)Red meat contains heme iron which leads to type 2 diabetes
2)High consumption of red meat and processed meat (chicken nuggets, burgers etc) lead to an increase risk of colorectal cancer
3)Men who eat a lot of red meat increase their risk if prostate cancer
4)Red meat increases the risk of Alzheimer's 
5)Red meat can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease

Okay so I know that foods that increase your risk of cancer etc change every few seconds and white meat can also have some of these health affects, but it is a common known fact due to extensive research and studies that red meats do have these affects. In addition to this white meat show to have much less of an impact, which is why I still eat it but as previously stated try to avoid meat whenever I can and not eat processed meats.

There are obviously ethical reasons why I've given up red meat and also trying to give up animal meat altogether. I am aware of the ethical problems to do with white meat, but this post isn't about being a vegetarian, it is simply about red meat...for now 

This post wasn't a preach at you to give up any type of food. Just something I wanted to share with you all 
Thank you for reading 
B x

No comments:

Post a Comment