Monday, April 27, 2015

Healthy Granola Bars




Hello :)
Okay so recently I have been trying to eat healthy alternatives to my favourite foods, and eating healthier meals etc.
However I face one problem with this...I'm not a big fan of 'healthy' food
I mean I like fruit and vegetables and brown pasta, bread etc. But I don't like things like quinoa, lentils, meat substitutes, and only eating vegetables for my dinner and constantly having salads for lunch like most of the healthy bloggers out there do
And so a lot of these healthy cook books don't really appeal to me so it is hard for me to find healthy recipes I actually do like

These are granola bars have been a long time in the making. I've gone through a lot of trial and error with these until they tasted how I wanted them too and I think they taste so yummy and they are full of natural ingredients that are all healthy which is exactly what I, and everyone else wants in healthy foods.
 

Ingredients:
  • 300g of dates (pitted)
  • 200g oats
  • 50g sunflower seeds
  • 50g pumpkin seeds
  • 50g raisons
  • 2tbps cinnamon
*you can use any type of seed/nut you want and as many as you want, to add sweetness you can add tbps of maple syrup or a teaspoon of stevia*

Methods:
  • preheat your oven to 200degrees Celsius
  • de-pit your dates and place them in a pan of boiling water and let them soften (this can take up to 7 minutes) 
  • once soften mush the dates to a paste (if you have a blender use this to make your life easier)
  • in a separate bowl mix the cinnamon, oats and sweetener if you've added it together and then add the date paste and mix until all the oats are covered
  • add in your chosen seeds, nuts and raisons and mix
  • transfer you mixture to a baking tray that is covered by a greaseproof sheet so it doesn't stick
  • bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown
  • once out the oven cut into bars and leave to cool
These bars are full of fibre and so will give you slow releasing energy throughout the day. The dates (which actually taste so good) provide you with a portion of fruit, the seeds give you such healthy fats and the oats are amazing at balancing  cholesterol.

These bars aren't like 'rabbit food' like many healthy bars are and when I eat them as a snack I don't see them as healthy because they are like the bars you buy at the supermarket
If you try these out please comment and share your thoughts!
Thank you for reading
Until next time
B x

No comments:

Post a Comment